BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #jeruruzape-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Seizure / Epilepsy Warning: Flickering Images!

Intellectual Property Disclaimer: Popcorn by Gershon Kingsley is not my Intellectual Property, my use of this song probably falls into the "Fair Use" (see: remix / sampling / performance) legal doctrine, I did not write "Popcorn" for God sake.

This was one of my first forays into Pico-8 programming a couple years ago that wasn't focused on sprite animations and was originally just some bouncing balls and some screen effects with no music. I felt like posting it here but thought it could use some enhancements so this is the latest revision.

Controls:

• O holds orbs that contact the ground and launches them upon release.
  • X adds more orbs.
  • Left changes the color palette
  • Up Removes all orbs.
  • Down lowers the framerate and resets at < 3 FPS
  • Right lowers the Drag coefficient and reset to 1 at zero.

Current features:

• Multiple Palettes
  • Adjustable Drag Parameter
  • Adjustable Framerates
  • Music: Butter-Flavored "Popcorn" for Pico-8 stolen by homebum from Gershon Kingsley (2024)
  • Photosensitive Epilepse (PSE) Disclaimer with experimental "PSE-SAFE Mode": a frame-rate limited, "non-flickering" mode that might still be dangerous--so no guarantees on that one.

The music was created to enhance the visual experience and not the other way around if you can believe that ... It was mostly just an excuse to tinker with the music tools and watching this "demo" was getting the original "Popcorn" stuck in my head anyway so I figured I throw that in on a whim for good measure before releasing it here. Well, that "whim" ended up being like a week of effort.

I haven't really tinkered too much with Pico-8's sound effects and music editors so this is probably the most extensive use of these tools that have ever gone into any of my projects, released or otherwise. It's not and exhaustive demonstration of Pico-8 capabilities by any means but a practical example of what they can do and I feel proficient in these tools after this.

Some history on the song itself, I might have this part wrong:

• Original "Popcorn" (1969) is by German-American composer Gershon Kingsley from his album "Music to Moog By"
  • Popcorn (1972) by First Moog Quartet (Gershon Kingsley) was based on the Gershon Kinglsey "Popcorn" (1969) and intended for the 1970 re-release of their self-titled album. I'm having a difficult time finding this version of the song.
  • Popcorn (1972) by Hot Butter which is an American band fronted by Stan Free, a member of First Moog Quartet, was based on the First Moog Quartet re-released "Popcorn" (1972) by First Moog Quartet. This is the version of the song you usually find if you go searching.

My version "borrows" (see: plagiarizes) heavily from the 1972, Hot Butter (Stan Free) version. I think my favorite version of the song is just the 1969, Music To Moog By, version by Gershon Kingsley but the first time I ever heard this song it was the Caustic Window (Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin) version found on the Joyrex J4 EP.

Countless versions and remixes of this song exist and I'm not going to name them all here.

Feel free to help me get a list going of the good ones or correct my very limited understand of the origins of the Hot Butter version of this song, though ...

P#146722 2024-04-15 23:28 ( Edited 2024-04-19 17:27)

Welcome, intern. The company has taken your application in a positive light, you may join the ranks immediately.
Many of our current employees have been looking forward to having a new handyman, we hope you can deliver!

X to dash
o to interact and work!

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/55/summon-the-intern

Cart #summontheintern-1 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#146713 2024-04-15 21:23 ( Edited 2024-04-16 22:30)

This is my entry for Ludum Dare 55, Diablillos, a fast-paced game in which you have to be quick to summon your imps and defeat your rival summoner.

Cart #diablillos-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Note: You need a mouse to be able to play this game.

If you could play and rate the game in the Ludum Dare website, I'd highly appreciate it! Likewise, if you joined the jam, please give me a shout so I can play your game.

You can read a dev log in GIFs at the Ludum Dare website as well.

P#146710 2024-04-15 19:20

A second take on the minesweeper game. Priginally made in 2 hours and polished a couple of months later.

D-pad - navigate
X - Reveal tile
O - mark tile as flagged

Reveal numbered tiles when there are enough flags around it to reveal all neighboring unflagged tiles.

Cart #collin_minesweeper_1-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#146708 2024-04-15 18:38

Hi,

I love tinkering around in Pico-8, but I'm certainly not a competent programmer and just hack things together using spaghetti code for my own amusement.

In my day job, I work as an innovation manager for a technology company, and we have an internal innovation programme where we fund good ideas from people within the business, which we think will either provide commmercial benefits to the organisation, or provide reputational benefit.

One idea submitted recently was for an app/game to demonstrate "sustainability" (can't really go into more detail here). To test the concept, I knocked up a very crude prototype in Pico-8, which resulted in funding being released to develop a more throrough proof of concept app, using an external developer on iOS.

This was delivered and we are now at the point of deciding upon next steps in its development. Various options have been suggested, ranging from developing the game/app as a full desktop app, continuing development on iPad for iOS, developing for an Android tablet, or producing a web based version. Its all up for grabs.

However, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if developing it using Pico-8 could be an ever better way to go. It would give us Mac OS, Windows and Linux versions, and also offer a web based version so almost anyone, anywhere, on any hardware could also access it. It would really open up the user base.

I have to say, that some of the games I've seen developed in Pico-8 recently really are excellent, and I'm blown away with what can be produced with it when in the hands of awesome developers! I also recall that when I showed my very early Pico-8 version to members of the teams who came up with the idea for the game/app, who had never heard of Pico-8 before, they were excited by the retro feel, pixilated graphics and frankly, seeing something totally different.

So my question is, does anyone know of any developers who specifically code Pico-8 games and apps on a commercial basis. I'd like to build up a case for the "Pico-8 development route", such that its thrown into the mix when next steps are decided. Links to web sites, example games etc... would help me show how this route could compete with outher more "safe and traditional" options for software development.

Hope this post is within the rules of the Forum.

Many thanks and all thoughts are much appreciated.

Paul :-)

P#146707 2024-04-15 18:26

The first gangofthree Ludum Dare game is released! Enjoy!

Try to beat the evil wizard by summoning monsters of the right element. Play multiple times for a chance of other levels.

Cart #sumwizard-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#146705 2024-04-15 17:47 ( Edited 2024-04-15 17:50)

SOOOOOO...
I got sick of making overly easy games to practice and get better
so i decided to start making small visual demos instead.
i have found that it is much more effective for me!
and ive gotten a LOT better in the past couple weeks in my opinion.
so here are my 2 main ones. enjoy!
tell me what u think!

Cart #lighttrail-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #fireandwater-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#146702 2024-04-15 17:22 ( Edited 2024-04-15 17:22)

Cart #trufflepig_jam-1 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Truffle Pig

I little minesweeper clone I made for Mini Jam 156!

The theme was "mushroom" and my mind immediately went to truffle pigs (oink). The limitation was "stuck in a loop", which I barely met by making the level a literal loop. I had planned to make it a commentary by being stuck in a loop of labour exploitation under the capitalist whims of a greedy chef but, you know, jams.

Have fun!

P#146666 2024-04-15 04:01 ( Edited 2024-04-15 13:14)

Hi!

It’s been ages since I did anything for Ludum Dare. This time the theme was “Summoning”, so this is my attempt at a puzzle game where you need to complete a pentacle in order to summon whatever it is you summon. I did not spend too much time on this and could not find game mechanics that were both fun and challenging, so don’t expect anything great…

Left/Right arrows: browse runes (in select mode) or rotate rune (in placement mode)
Z/C: select rune (in select mode) or place rune (in placement mode)
X: cancel rune placement and return to select mode

Compo entry page is here.

Cart #pent8cle-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#146659 2024-04-15 01:02 ( Edited 2024-04-15 01:17)

Cart #gb_triangles-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Felt like a screensaver.

P#146650 2024-04-14 21:58

Cart #gpong-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little Pong game I made for a friend! Use X and O to give the ball its own negative or positive gravity every time it hits your paddle. The gravity the ball is under will reduce by 10% every time it hits a side wall. The game ends when one of the players scores 11 points. Other than that, it's Pong!

P#146634 2024-04-14 19:07 ( Edited 2024-04-14 19:22)

Cart #ld55_cat_and_box-1 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

There are boxes on your way to the yellow portal! However you are too weak to push the boxes yourself, so you summon some cats to push the boxes for your. But the cats are somehow stupid and they always push the boxes to the very end...

Also, you need to open the doors with green switches on the floor!

Arrow key to move/select summon position

Z to start summoning cat

Enter to bring up a menu for restart or go back to title

An entry for ludum dare 55

ludum dare link

P#146632 2024-04-14 18:48 ( Edited 2024-04-15 04:58)

Cart #rezleste-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#146625 2024-04-14 17:29

Cart #kusosolitaire-1 | 2024-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a small Solitaire-Variant, based on italian Triestine-Cards. The Deck goes from 1-13, but without cards 8, 9, 10. Normal-ish soltaire-rules apply. You can stack cards by alternating suits.

"Kuso" (Originally Croatian "Kušo", say it like KOOSH-OH, which kinda means "friend") is my grandpas nickname, who basically sits on his terrace in Croatia all day, playing solitaire with triestine–cards.

I used one secret color, the darker green.

Thanks for Playing!

P#146619 2024-04-14 15:12 ( Edited 2024-04-27 05:56)

Cart #honorius-2 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Memory game about Honorius III, a medival pope summoning demons to save humanity.

Made for Ludum Dare 55.

P#146611 2024-04-14 13:18 ( Edited 2024-04-15 07:38)

Cart #summercrush-1 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO PLAY:

Use the right arrow to advance through dialogue. When it's time to make a choice, use the up and down arrows to choose carefully. You need as much Confidence as possible in the final scene! But, if you run out of Cool, you die, so be careful.

NOTES:

I had this idea many years ago, for a dating game where if you get too embarrassed, you instantly die. Unfortunately, a lot of the drama of that idea was lost in making the game less funny and more "it works".

That said, in the end, it works. I don't recommend making a dating game unless you have a great story idea, because I spent a LOT of time shrinking the story down into something that fit in one pico-8 cart. One cart or die. That's my motto.

My favorite thing that I did was with the custom font. @McLeopold has a great font called "Femto-Font" that I used in here, and it naturally involved a really long "POKE" command that took up about 14% of the cart space. To get some of it back, I actually encoded most of that POKE into the MAP data! I wasn't using the map space for much, so it was a great use of it that allowed me to put the font in and still fill the story up with some fun content.

Anyway. Thank you for playing!

P#146413 2024-04-14 11:51 ( Edited 2024-04-14 15:05)

Cart #hm118_bailout_v1-4 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You have been summoned to make an appearance at court before noon and pay a fine for the crime of skateboarding. Except you don’t have any money and noon is only a couple of minutes away! Skateboard around the city gathering as much loose change as you can find and make it to the courthouse in time. Just don't get caught skating again by the cops!

Controls

Arrow Keys - Move
X - Get on and off your board
C - Drop a doughnut to distract the cops chasing you

P#146604 2024-04-14 10:51 ( Edited 2024-04-16 15:54)

Cart #preserve_v1-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game jam game from a while ago. It's a little buggy but I'm happy with it.

P#146598 2024-04-14 08:39

Cart #stag21-1 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Changelog:

• made the spikes look goofier and more represent their hitboxes
  • added more particles to orbs and made them jump automatically
  • made changes to level 4
  • made a message when you collect enough tokens for level 4

Prev Version:
V1:

Cart #kudigimina-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

V2:
Cart #kudigimina-1 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Changed: added X button as way to jump for mobile
Cart #stag21-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

so i made a game

i think its cool and i put effort into it

P#146590 2024-04-14 02:57 ( Edited 2024-04-20 04:34)

Cart #adventure_island_wip-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little Adventure Island (or Wonder Boy for some of you) -like that I have been working on. I want to test it easily on my Rg353, and its just easier to grab it from SPLORE than to do the whole song and dance with an sd card.

It might be buggy! And no sound yet! Lemme know what you think.

P#146585 2024-04-14 01:24
View Older Posts